Site is under construction. Jan-Feb 2017. Please come back often as content will be updated weekly. If there is something you would like to see please email us at: info < at> sustainableenterprisealliance.ca
Many of our members join SEA for networking opportunities. Come and work with other entrepreneurs to make connections and source materials, products and services from each other.
Publicize the sustainability achievements you have made. Share what you have learned as a mentor to other entrepreneurs or let us help you tell your story to the world through social media, our website and through other marketing activities.
Through our ‘think local first’ campaign we would like to encourage citizens of the national capital region to consider spending a greater portion of their dollars on local independent businesses, and in turn we would like our local independent businesses to contribute positively themselves through social as well as environmental initiatives that will benefit the community. We want to encourage businesses to work towards reducing waste, energy use, water use as well as source from other local independent businesses as well. In the end we all benefit!
Learn: Business Case for Sustainability
Why should I care about sustainability ?
- We all want to do our part to reduce our environmental footprint, businesses included- Businesses are run by responsible people after all !
- Businesses are also billed at higher rates for utilities so reducing energy use will benefit your bottom line and the environment at the same time.
What is this ‘Sustainability and what has that got to do with my business?
- As a service business or as a product-based manufacturing or retail business you do consume raw materials, energy and other resources to operate. Do you know where it all comes from and where it all goes? (Check out the storyofstuff.org)
- You may want to look at your business operations with fresh eyes. Some companies have gone from an open-loop product focused model to one where for example Interface (a carpet company) has set a goal for being zero footprint buy integrating a closed loop manufacturing process turning old carpet into new. Others are adding services to their product mix so they can reduce product failures, and change to a close-loop cradle to grave system. PSS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product-service_system
- Reducing waste, improving energy efficiency and reducing water use all reduce the environmental impact a business has
Hydro Ottawa’s Save On Energy Program can help connect you to the right energy saving services. There are rebates that can benefit you to save on the up-front costs of retrofits.